Wednesday, June 13, 2012

top 25 songs of 2012 to date

About a month or so ago, I just pasted a bunch of songs that I'd liked in the year to date, along with some other recommendations by the same artist. That was basically a teaser for this, the mid-point thing I enjoy doing so much.

You want rankings? You got rankings. Here are my 25 favorite songs through half-'12. Honorable mention to Marina & the Diamonds' "Primadonna," which the guilty pleasure part of me loves, but was just outside this list.


25. the shins - no way down







24. daniel rossen - up on high






23. the shins - the rifle's spiral






22. sharon van etten - all i can






21. grizzly bear - sleeping ute






20. the men - open your heart


Abrasive and unapologetic, but still managing to be open (and even tinged with a little...feeling?), this song charges straight ahead after its introductory throat-clear and never stops for air. Probably because it's steam-powered.



19. father john misty - everyman needs a companion


Consider singing this to your loved one. It's heartfelt, but still not without some tongue-in-cheek, anecdotal humor. Plus, J. Tillman's formerly of Fleet Foxes, so you know the harmonies are solid.



18. chairlift - i belong in your arms


I forget who said it, but one reviewer likened this track to something out of an ending credits roll for an '80s movie. That description fits perfectly, but this song feels like it keeps a healthy balance between cheese and sincerity. Still, I can't shake that description now, but that label at least carries something resembling nostalgia with it, and music making you feel that is never a detraction.



17. sharon van etten - leonard


Everyone has been where Van Etten is in this song at some point. And everyone who's been there probably just wants to give her a hug.



16. hospitality - all day today


I don't find the Vampire Weekend comparisons with this band fair on the whole, but it's probably no more evident on this album than on this track. I happen to not find a Vampire Weekend comp to be worthy of demerits, and there's something about the optimism-in-the-face-of-painful-thoughts here that kind of feels motivational.



15. cloud nothings - stay useless


Where Hospitality is optimistic, Cloud Nothings is a bit wallowy. But while they don't exactly seem happy about it, it's not as if there's any imminent change on the horizon, if this song is any indication.



14. father john misty - o i long to feel your arms around me


I don't know if this song is about unrequited love, but it sure feels like it is. Maybe we'll go a tick more upbeat and just say he really misses somebody.



13. chairlift - met before


The official video is interactive and cool to play with. The song is toe-tappingly cool to listen to.



12. beach house - wishes


Go here and click the third player widget to listen. No youtube for this one, but you'll be glad you spared the extra effort.



11. the walkmen - song for leigh


Yeah, I'll sing myself sick about ya.



10. beach house - other people


Another external link, but again, so worth the effort. If you like to get lost in walls of sound, this album is your masonry.



9. purity ring - obedear


Purity Ring don't have an album out, and won't until the end of July, but the thing that has me so transfixed from the four songs they've released to date is the hazy, disfigured vocal-type blips and coos that back every track with this mist, this coating ether that just swallows you. And Megan James's voice is just perfect for this kind of music.



8. sharon van etten - serpents


There is no Lana Del Rey comparison. That one I just don't get at all. And if this song doesn't completely shatter that notion for you, too, I'm not sure what else there is to say.



7. father john misty - hollywood forever cemetery sings


The drums say "pay attention." The vocals ask "what the hell is going on?" And someone's got to help him "dig," but whether that grave is his own or for someone else is something I'm not totally sure about. It's worth noting that the video vamps in the second half, which makes it different from the album version (which is just over 3:00 long).



6. japandroids - adrenaline nightshift


See, the cool thing about Japandroids is how they make you just feel glad to be alive. I don't think I need to do any more selling than that.



5. shearwater - you as you were


The piano intro gives me immediate chills. Meiburg's voice is always an instant winner. Add in that this song builds and builds and builds - much like one of my all-time favorites, LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends," albeit in less time - to a gorgeous crescendo and you have all of the elements needed to get to Paul's heart.



4. the tallest man on earth - there's no leaving now


One of the most personal, heart-on-the-sleeve songs I've heard in a long time. It helps to have Matsson's voice paired with a piano, finally, and the two work wonderfully here. The chorus - especially the final one, as the piano drops out - is one sure to rend hearts.



3. tanlines - all of me


Just shut up and take a dance break.



2. japandroids - fire's highway


So kiss away your gypsy fears. And rock the hell out.



1. beach house - on the sea


Wouldn't you like to know how far you've got left to go? I'm not sure which journey Victoria Legrand is talking about here, but the vagueness lends itself to any situation. It's a utility lyric. Sure, life is about the journey, enjoying the ride and referencing decades-old car commercials in music blog posts (maybe not the last part), but sometimes, it's nice to see the finish line. With this song, at least the journey is still fun, and the hope is that it always will be.