Monday, January 3, 2011

the tallest man on earth - king of spain


Sometimes, it can take a song time to grow on you. This is usually the case with just about every song by The National, but in sporadic cases, a particular song can lie dormant in your library, waiting to truly be discovered for the first time.

I can't remember the first time I listened to this song, but whenever it was - shortly after having it recommended to me by a friend - I wasn't immediately impressed. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, didn't like the sound of Kristian Matsson's voice, or was uncomfortable with just how emotionally raw the song is. It's Matsson and a guitar and a whole lot of wanting. Maybe he just wants to impress someone (maybe just himself).

Whatever it is, you can tell he means it. He's shooting high, and doesn't want to settle for second-best.